jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: incorrect system view export if property is String[1]
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 08:58:50 GMT
Hi,

2008/3/6 Martin Zdila <m.zdila@mwaysolutions.com>:
>  i think i've found a bug. if i have multivalue with only one item, then export
>  is ambiguous. after import i see only String property. please check
>  attachments. should i report it to jira?

Yes, please.

The problem is that there is an ambiguity related to multivalued
properties in the system view format specified in JSR 170. Normally
the import can determine whether a property should be multivalued or
not by looking at the matching property definition associated with the
node type. But with nt:unstructured there is both a single- and a
multivalued property definition that matches the imported property. In
such cases Jackrabbit looks at the number of values in the imported
property, and defaults to the single-valued property definition if
just a single value is being imported like in your String[1] case.

We can't really solve the problem by improving the heuristics on the
import side, so we should add some explicit property metadata like
rep:multivalued="true" to the system view export to help solve the
ambiguity.

>  the other strange thing is that document view export is empty. is it ok? why?

That's a long-lived known issue, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-325.

The reason is basically that since we currently can't import
multivalued properties in document view, we think it's better also not
to export them to avoid giving people the wrong idea. There is no
concept of multivalued attributes in XML, so while the JCR spec
specifies a way to handle that case it also leaves a lot of freedom to
implementations to decide if they want to support that feature.

In the general case it is impossible to properly import multivalued
properties using the document view, but there are a lot of heuristics
we could apply to make that feature work reasonably well in practice.
I spent some time on that issue two years ago, but dropped the effort
since it's rather complex and there is no clear need for such
functionality.

BR,

Jukka Zitting