jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR Webdav Server -1.4.1 -looking for a client
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:12:33 GMT
hi julio

> What does it actually mean to use this servlet (JCRWebdavServerServlet) to
> "remote JCR170 calls"?

it means, that you have a JCR client that communicates
with the persistent layer (server) using the webdav
protocol.

> Does it mean that the WebDav interface was "extended" to support specific
> JCR calls?

the JCR API maps pretty well (and surprisingly natural)
to WebDAV. there were only a couple of areas that were
are not covered by any of the WebDAV RFCs. This includes:

- observation
   -> extension
- clone
   -> unresolved
- series of transient modifications (everything between
   2 Session.save() calls).
   -> custom Lock type/scope.

the mapping is described in
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/JCR_Webdav_Protocol.doc

> Per the online documentation a corresponding JCR client refers to the "JCR
> to SPI" and "SPI to WebDAV" in the sandbox. I found the following: a package
> called: jackrabbit-jcr2spi/* on the regular release and spi2dav/* on the
> sandbox.

that's it. jcr2spi represents the JCR API and it requires
an SPI implementation. spi2dav is one example.

> Any preference on either approach?
> How do I bootstrap a client?

which approach? you lost me here... sorry.

> On a brief look at the spi2dav files I believe this is the path to follow:
> Instantiate a copy of JCR2SPIRepositoryStub which in turn will instantiate a
> copy of RepositoryServiceImpl.
> The starting point for my code would then start with the
> JCR2SPIRepositoryStub.

> I couldn't not find a starting point however with just the code in the main
> trunk within the jackrabbit-jcr2spi/*. Any ideas?

if you have jcr2spi configured to use the spi2dav
SPI implementation, you must make sure you have the
corresponding webdav server running. spi2dav is still part
of the client side.

steps to go there:
- deploy the JCRWebdavServerServlet (by default its
   part of the jackrabbit webapp).
- make sure your jcr2spi is started with spi2dav
- configuration properties of spi2dav are (see
   repositoryStubImpl.properties):
   > location of the server
   > default workspace name

hope that helps