jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Latysh <ivanlat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR use case
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:42:53 GMT
nesvarbu wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm currently working on shopping cart software, so now i started to think
> how i should store and load product images. So i found out about JCR
> specification and started to think that it might be a good solution, but
> still im not sure. Now all information about product is in RDBS. Maybe you
> can clear me out how to use Jackrabbit in given context. Should i put whole
> product information and don't use RDBS at all for it or it is better to have
> all information in database and pictures in JCR datastore. Or maybe for such
> simple use case using JCR is no big gain and it only increase complexity of
> the system? Maybe simple Berkley database or even file system is way to go?
> I'm also thinking that i could keep full product's description in separate
> document in JCR datastore. What do think? I have no experience with JCR so
> sorry if my question is stupid :)
   Not stupid at all.
   It is an excellent question, unfortunately you won't find any gain from using
the JCR.
   For your use case - the best solution is to pull all images right into RDBMS
and stick a cache manager in from of it. Just asses how many products you are
going to have, how large is a product image, how many images per product you
have and see what RDBMS (that you are already using) can do for you.
  Also make no sense to write FileSystem image store yourself, you won't do any
better job than RDBMS + configured cache manager.
  On another hand if you decide to go away from RDBMS and use exclusively JCR it
will work for you, but speed will depend on your load.

--
Ivan Latysh
IvanLatysh@gmail.com