jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Dean Jones" <dean.m.jo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Behaviour of Node.getPath()
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:32:58 GMT
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Tobias Bocanegra
<tobias.bocanegra@day.com> wrote:
> hi,
>  the [1] is optional but addresses the same path.
>
>  i.e. /foo[1]/bar and /foo/bar address the same node no matter if the
>  /foo has same name siblings or not.

Hi Toby,

As far as XPath per se is concerned, absolutely agree. However, the
index becomes significant when using XPath to search a repository e.g.
the queries "/jcr:root/foo/bar/element(*, my:type)" and
"/jcr:root/foo[1]/bar[1]/element(*, my:type)" aren't equivalent when
either foo or bar have same-name siblings. It would have been useful
if there was a method or switch available which would include all
indices in the path, but, as I say, it's easy to workaround so it's
not exactly a blocker.

>  in any case, it's better to avoid SNS if the data model allows this,
>  since they cause troubles in other places.
>  regards, toby

Would you mind elaborating on what these problems are (before I start
to panic and rewrite our data model :-) ?

Dean.