jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alex Lukin <lu...@stu.cn.ua>
Subject What UUID really means in jackrabbit?
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:34:46 GMT
Hi, All!

Question is not so simple as it may apear.

Imagine following use case:
Conetnt consists of top node and tree of subnodes, for instance binary attachments. Content
may be some OCM object or
whatever other mapping to fixed of flexible but known data structures.

1) User creates some content in his home node and then
2) copies it in incoming node for content editing person. Content editor checks it, may be
modifies and
3) moves to some  other place where content is published

I think contents 1 and 2 are different but 2 and 3 are the same. UUID identifies some unique
So I expect that UUIDs in 1 and 2 must be different, and in 2 and 3 equival.

1. Can I expect that move() operation does not change jcr:uuid but copy() does?
2. Can I use UUID to find my conent node independent of its location (path)?
3. How fast is getting node by UUID?

As I told before to Cristophe, path is not a "right thing" for primary key equivalent for
OCM, and not "right thing" to refer unque objects.
This use case shows why. So question is: Is UUID good candidate for such unique key? I think
yes but I do not know what developers think of :)

SY, Alex Lukin

View raw message