jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <b...@redwerk.com>
Subject Re: What UUID really means in jackrabbit?
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:48:03 GMT
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:34:46PM +0200, Alex Lukin wrote:
> 1) User creates some content in his home node and then
> 2) copies it in incoming node for content editing person. Content editor
> checks it, may be modifies and
> 3) moves to some  other place where content is published
>
> I think contents 1 and 2 are different but 2 and 3 are the same. UUID
> identifies some unique node.  So I expect that UUIDs in 1 and 2 must be
> different, and in 2 and 3 equival.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Can I expect that move() operation does not change jcr:uuid but copy() does?

Yes, UUID wouldn't be changed on move operations, while copy creates new node
with new UUID, as stated in API docs

> 2. Can I use UUID to find my conent node independent of its location (path)?

Yes, you can.

> 3. How fast is getting node by UUID?

As we found, accessing node by UUID usually works much faster than accessing
the node by the path, however you may find it useful to create some tests and
give them a try to ensure UUID access is really faster ;)

> As I told before to Cristophe, path is not a "right thing" for primary key
> equivalent for OCM, and not "right thing" to refer unque objects.  This use
> case shows why. So question is: Is UUID good candidate for such unique key?
> I think yes but I do not know what developers think of :)

We are using a way of finding content by UUID - not paths in our application,
and it works just fine.

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky