jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: Can I export / import version history?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:12:36 GMT
hi paco,

>  > i think the version history is not affected if you make changes
>  > to your node types.
>  This is not always true. I'have added an "user comment" property to the
>  versioned node, so the applications expect to see this property in the
>  versioned nodes. The old repository do no have this property, so will
>  fail with the actual modification.
well, generally i think it is important to distinguish between "versions"
and "versionable nodes". if we are talking about old "versions" of the
node then these are considered immutable in the repository. this is
an important design principle and thats why the concept of a frozen
node what introduced in jcr. so an application should be able to
deal with the fact that over the course of a version history the nodetype
definition may have changed, hence the "frozen node".

>  > generally the version store is implemented as a workspace so you can
>  > just copy the version store on to your new repository, but you need
>  > to make sure that the uuid's (and version property) of the nodes in
>  > your workspace(s) are preserved so they match the uuid's in the
>  > version store. i would probably use a system view export to make
>  > sure of that.
>  > does that work for you?
>  I've benn trying to export / import "/jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage"
>  with no results :(
that's not what i meant. you can copy the underlying version store
on an fs or rdbms level, but as far as i understand you would like
to export, modify and then re-import the version store.

as far as i am concerned due to the immutable nature of versions
i think this is probably not even a sustainable use case that we would
like to cover in jcr.

as mentioned above, the concept of the frozen node has exactly been
introduce to accomodate nodetype changes without having to modify
the version store.

regards,
david