jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Performance as compared to simple sql db query is quite bad
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:21:14 GMT

> On Feb 1, 2008 1:49 PM, zevon <sateeshl@expedia.com> wrote:
> > I am afraid I might not be able to use '//*' everytime, the given
> > example was the simple one, but for each of these type
> nodes, I would
> > have nodes which carry other information and one referring
> the other.
> > Doing a  scan everytime and filtering out unwanted would be
> expensive too.
>
> For best search performance with the current Jackrabbit query
> indexes, you'll want to use a node type or property
> constraints instead of a path check.
>
> For example, if all your friendly file ids are stored in
> properties named "my:friendlyFileName", the XPath query
> //*[@my:friendlyFileName] should give you pretty fast access
> to all the nodes with such properties.

Or on some nodetype like:

//element(*, mynt:paragraph)[@myapp:title="Node Types"]

path queries involve hierarchical checks which need to be resolved
dynamically. A more fair test would be to create in one database table a
enormeous hierarchical structure by rows having a parent id, and then do
some sql query to only have rows that have some certain parents, which
have certain parents, which have... etc etc

Your comparison is totally different.

-Ard