jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deploying custom node types in jackrabbit
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:39:02 GMT
On Feb 18, 2008 1:26 PM, Manolo Gomez Lopez <performante@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> 2008/2/18, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com>:
> >

> > > there was a related feature request:
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-771
> >
> > > cheers
> > > stefan
>

> I must admit I dind't see that one before asking, sorry.
>
> I agree that maybe using the current internal serialization of custom node
> types (in repository/nodetypes)  is not the best solution for helping in the
> deployment of custom node types (but certain not as hard as modifying an
> Oracle tablespace ;)).
>
> But I also see that forcing an API method invocation as the *only* way of
> registering node types maybe is not the best solution for all deployment
> scenarios.
>
> I am thinking in large deployments of pre-configured jackrabbit registries
> with lots of custom node types..., providing a way to give jackrabbit
> representations of the custom node types in CND format in some way at start
> time (other than via API) will certainly ease the deployment of those
> repositories.
>
> I am sure that already having an independent representation of custom node
> types and namespaces in CND (or its counterpart in XML) are solid
> foundations for the implementation os this feature.
>
> Don't you think this feature is worth a try and will be a good improvement
> for jackrabbit?

while i agree it could be very convenient in certain scenarios i guess
it can cause
a lot of trouble (how do you handle removed types, illegal
definitions, unsupported
changes  etc) if supported in core during bootstrapping. while editing
a text based
definition is certainly trivial, the effects of such changes might be dramatic.

OTOH i think such a feature could be easily implemented as an external
tool/service.
WDYT?

cheers
stefan