jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Manolo Gomez Lopez" <performa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deploying custom node types in jackrabbit
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:03:07 GMT
2008/2/18, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com>:

> >while i agree it could be very convenient in certain scenarios i guess
> >it can cause
> >a lot of trouble (how do you handle removed types, illegal
> >definitions, unsupported
> >changes  etc) if supported in core during bootstrapping. while editing
> >a text based
> >definition is certainly trivial, the effects of such changes might be
> dramatic.
>
> >OTOH i think such a feature could be easily implemented as an external

>tool/service.
> >WDYT?
>
> cheers
> stefan
>

> > Greets,

Yeah, sure, maybe an external tool will be a good idea, but it won't be
trivial, it should support the three different models of accessing a
jackrabbit repository, direct, JNDI, RMI... and a way of declaring
namespaces, or at least guessing them from the provided CND files.

I see that the API approach is well suited for the first two models of
deployment, where the application code and jackrabbit reside in the same
location (context). But I think it doesn't fully fit in the RMI scenario
where there maybe exists a repository administrator and several clients
without administrative rights, if one wants to control the types of nodes in
the system.

Maybe I am extending too far the current RMI interface and making jackrabbit
more service than planned... which leads me to the following:   Is there
 any ongoing effort for providing a web services or some sort of remote
interface ( SOAP, RPC, REST ) to JCR repositories and jackrabbit in
particular?

Greets,