jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Help with SearchIndex parameters
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:18:12 GMT
Sridhar Raman wrote:
> I am too sure whether the problem we are facing can be solved by tweaking
> around with the SearchIndex parameters, but I want to give it a shot.  The
> gist of the problem we are facing is that our importing of nodes is very
> very slow.

how is your content structured? how many properties do your nodes have on
average. are they any binary properties?

> We have around 25000 nodes that are being imported, and then being committed
> by a single session.save().  This particular operation takes a long time.
> The index folder showed no activity for almost an hour, before it began to
> begin creating the indexes.  Could this be because of some faulty
> SearchIndex parameters?  I haven't changed the parameters from the default
> values.

no, I don't think so. nodes are only indexed on commit time. in a first step the
nodes are stored using the configured persistence manager and in a second step
indexed by the query handler.

> Also, would the import process be faster if I did the save() in multiple
> steps?

yes, most probably. Because Jackrabbit stores any pending modification in
memory, the heap is probably used up and the GC runs very often in your import.
try saving after 1000 nodes.

regards
  marcel