jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: XPath on data prior to saving
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:34:12 GMT
Hi Ivan,

>  >   Thanks for the response Marcel, that's what I was afraid of.  As
> You are out of luck here, JCR api are very inconsistent in regards to transient
>  state, and it is more than a frustrating.

I thought that you may have an opinion on that particular topic ;)

While I appreciate that there are use cases where considering transient
items in a query result is convenient, from a repository implementation
perspective there are a lot of issues that (depending on the implementation)
cannot be resolved easily.

Based on the feedback we received during Public Review of JSR-283 we proposed
to loosen the contract so the repository is allowed to consider the transient
changes, which means that Jackrabbit could include transient
modifications in the index. This is not simple at all, but I am sure that
you guys will come up with a good proposal for a patch ;)

I am not going to rehash the entire discussion about all the problems
of including
transient modifications in the query result, but please keep in mind
that the transient
space is not to be compared to or used in similar ways as transactions
in a database
context.

regards,
david