I have been investigating Jackrabbit and would really like to be able to use it but have been extremely frustrated trying to get an environment that works.

Others seem to have run into the same issues, but I haven't found any pointers to resolutions.  Is it hopeless to try to run under Glassfish on Windows XP?

It looks like the ideal approach would be to use the Resource Adapter.  I've installed it successfully on linux, but under Windows, I get
com.sun.enterprise.deployment.backend.IASDeploymentException: java.io.IOException: filename: C:\Java\Sun\SDK\domains\domain1\applications\j2ee-modules\jackrabbit-jca\license\LICENSE
java.io.FileNotFoundException: (The system cannot find the path specified)

This looks like the issue documented by Daniel BrŸuen in this post:
http://www.nabble.com/Jackrabbit-RAR-Deployment-in-Glassfish-(and-on-Mac-OS-X)-t4334860.html
Windows also has a case insensitive filesystem so apparently the license folder and LICENSE file collide.  Is there any workaround for Windows?

Giving up on that approach, I tried a Model 2 deployment, and again ran into the same issues others have reported.  I installed all the required jars and created a JNDI reference named 'jcr/testRepository' bound to org.apache.jackrabbit.core.jndi.BindableRepositoryFactory.

In my webapp, I look up the Repository using
            InitialContext context = new InitialContext();
            Context environment = (Context) context.lookup("java:comp/env");
            Repository repository = (Repository) environment.lookup("jcr/testRepository");

It works initially, but if I make any changes and redeploy my webapp, I get the .lock error:
javax.jcr.RepositoryException: The repository home C:\Java\jackrabbit\test appears to be in use since the file named .lock is locked by another process.  The only solution seems to be restarting Glassfish every time I want to redeploy, which is not practical.

This problem is very similar to this thread, but I don't see any solution there.
http://www.nabble.com/Repository-Lock-Problem-in-JEE-Environment-tf4312389.html#a12308562

So am I just out of luck on Windows / Glassfish?

If so, my next approach would be to look at Model 3 deployment, but I see every recent post asking for help or pointers to a Model 3 solution have gone unanswered, so that's not too encouraging either.  It appears that RMI is dismissed as too slow, and I'm not very familiar with WebDAV, so I'm not sure if that's something I should be pursuing.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or help.
Thanks so much,
Debbie