jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Removing the use of file system
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:42:03 GMT
Karthik Sudarshan wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have a problem where Jackrabbit repository may be on one machine
> but the appserver (using Deployment Model 2 with jackrabbit-jca rar) may
> be on a different machine. The file system may not necessarily be
> shared, and due to this I wanted to switch to the Derby database
> entirely. Although it was successful for the most part, the searchIndex
> still expects a mandatory path attribute! This is the only thing which
> prevents me from having the whole repository on the DB. Is there
> anything that can be done so that the search indexes are moved to the DB
> as well?

the current implementation is based on a local file system and cannot be moved
to a database.

in early days there was support for the FileSystem abstraction but because of
heavy random access to the files the performance suffered. we then decided to
use the local file system only.

if index files are stored in a DB they probably have to be spooled to a temp
file where random access is possible. this however requires additional coding.

regards
  marcel