jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: The state of WebDAV Clients
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:14:02 GMT
Thomas wrote:
>> > project outside of Apache?
>
>> No, we didn't consider that yet.
>> The real problem is to find people who can and want to invest
>> time into the project.
>
>> Having an Apache label attached to it
>> might put it into a better position
>
> ... in a better position to get people work on it?

in a better position to be noticed in the first place?

> In my view, it's more important to have people that are
> interested to work on the project.

Agreed. Will a project outside of Apache improve the situation?
It isn't harder to send in patches for an Apache sandbox or lab
project than for a Sourceforge or Google Code project.
The advantages I see for an outside project are:
- it can make releases
- there can be initial non-Apache committers

The advantage of a sandbox effort in Jackrabbit is that
it's easy to set up. Starting a new lab takes a bit more
effort, but wouldn't tie the project to Jackrabbit. Also,
it doesn't require Jackrabbit karma to work in a lab.
I don't see the Incubator as a viable alternative yet,
because it's entry criteria are not easy to meet. I can't
tell how much effort it is to start a project elsewhere.

In the end, it is the decision of the people that are
willing to put in efforts now. I'm not one of them, as
I won't be available until late in 2008, at best. I'm
keeping an eye on this discussion because both WebDAV client
codebases at Apache depend on the old HttpClient API, and
I'm working on HttpComponents to retire that API. Once
the replacement API is beta, I am willing to spend some
time on other projects to help them migrate.

cheers,
  Roland