jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Best Practices/Design Patterns
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:51:11 GMT
On Nov 7, 2007 4:56 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 7, 2007 6:15 AM, loproman <loproman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there has been any research or documentation developed
> > on best practices working with repositories?  Specifically, I'm wondering if
> > there are any ideal patterns out there for working with the JCR API.
>
> I think the closest thing to best practices we have is the David's
> Model documented at http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel.
>
> > I've seen lots of primitive examples where nodes are accessed directly via
> > "getNode" and "addNode" etc. However, I think a more scalable solution would
> > need to wrap nodes with domain logic (similar to how DTO objects are used
> > with a relational database I suspect).
>
> I tend to avoid wrapping JCR nodes into custom Java objects, since
> IMHO in many cases that's just an extra layer of complexity with
> little value, but that's just a personal opinion.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jukka I do think you should add more to the above example, otherwise
people may get it completely wrong. These days domain driven design is
not only en vogue, but proves to be the viable alternative in our
field, so in this light your comments seems a bit weird.

bests,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.