jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Dail" <chrisd...@gmail.com>
Subject The state of WebDAV Clients
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:55:08 GMT
I am a bit concerned at the state of WebDAV client implementations in Java.

The slide project has been recently retired and Apache recommends
using JackRabbit as an alternative.
JackRabbit does not currently have a WebDAV client implementation
according to this post
(http://www.nabble.com/Webdav-Client-Examples--tf4803755.html#a13852979).
Others in the industry like Eclipse, are using slide as the basis for
their new EFS WebDAV implementation
(http://wiki.eclipse.org/WebDAV_EFS_Implementation).

In all of my searching, I have yet to find a viable alternative to
slide as a WebDAV client. I think it is clear that there is a need for
a project like this. Has there been any though in starting an Apache
Commons project to provide WebDAV support? My understanding was that
the Slide client was stable and would probably provide a good starting
point for a WebDAV client.

For more information on my WebDAV research see this post:
http://pragmaticchris.blogspot.com/2007/11/java-webdav-clients.html

Thanks

Chris Dail
http://pragmaticchris.blogspot.com