jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CacheManager slowing performance
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:53:40 GMT
Hi,

> output like below, where fairly
> frequently, it just hangs on the resizeAll, sometimes for a full minute
> or two.

Do you mean that Jackrabbit prints the 'resizeAll' line, and then
nothing else for a minute? Don't just blame the most frequent / last
entry in the log file ;-) I suggest to use a profiler, for example the
YourKit Java Profiler, if possible.

> ( Occasionally, my db pool gets exhausted too,

Jackrabbit doesn't open many database connections: Usually just one.
Even when you use multiple sessions.

> Is there a penalty for rapidly opening and closing sessions?

Yes, it is slow. Opening connections (database or Jackrabbit) is quite
slow. Don't do it if you don't need it.

> Should I
> try to copy N number of files before getting a new Session?

Yes. Why don't you use the same session for everything?

> any pointers would be really appreciated

Maybe you should think about using a different persistence manager.
What do you use now? See
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ for details.

Regards,
Thomas