jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DataStore vs Blobstore
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:53:37 GMT
Hi,

> 1.  When will the new version of jackrabbit with the datastore be released?

Sorry, I don't know the plans for this.

I have added the following sections to the data store documentation at
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore - please tell me if you
need more information.

The main advantages of the data store over the blob store are: unlike
the blob store, the data store keeps only one copy per object, even if
it is used multiple times. The data store detects if the same object
is already stored and will only store a link to the existing object.
Data store operations (read and write) don't block other users because
they are done outside the persistence manager. Multiple data store
operations can be done at the same time. The data store can be shared
across multiple workspaces, and even across multiple repositories if
required.

Migration: currently there is no special mechanism to migrate data
from a blob store to a data store. The only known way to convert is to
export the data, and re-import into a new repository.

Regards,
Thomas