jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building a repo using existing Db Schemas
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:25:16 GMT
Hi,

On Nov 10, 2007 1:23 PM, Adrian Custer <acuster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can any of you point me to literature (terminology, docs, threads, ...)
> that discusses a hybrid repository/database system where the repository
> is built against a Database for which we already have a schema?

There are a few Jackrabbit mailing list threads discussing such
issues, mostly from the point of view of a user who wants to access an
existing relational database through the JCR API. Jackrabbit quite
explicitly does not support such use cases, so mostly those threads
have ended fast.

In general it would be possible, and actually quite interesting, to
implement a JCR-to-JDBC bridge that would for example expose each
relation as a node type and a related (flat) set of nodes. One could
also do the reverse, a JDBC-to-JCR bridge that exposes each JCR node
type as a separate relation (with just the non-residual properties
mapped).

However, both such bridges are at best non-trivial to implement
(especially if you want even simple write functionality), and so far I
haven't seen very much demand for them.

BR,

Jukka Zitting