jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Steven Githens <swgit...@mtu.edu>
Subject Re: CacheManager slowing performance
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:09:17 GMT
Hello,

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi
>
> Do you mean that Jackrabbit prints the 'resizeAll' line, and then
> nothing else for a minute? Don't just blame the most frequent / last
> entry in the log file ;-) I suggest to use a profiler, for example the
> YourKit Java Profiler, if possible.

I'll definately put in some more YourKit time.  You're right, it was
just hanging on something in the Cluster package, before I removed it.
Just wondering if there was something obvious I was doing wrong.
>> Is there a penalty for rapidly opening and closing sessions?
>>

> Yes, it is slow. Opening connections (database or Jackrabbit) is quite
> slow. Don't do it if you don't need it.

Ok.  In the past (it was on 1.3.1 or earlier) when I've ran tried to
really ramp things up, I actually started running out of file handles
and getting POSIX'ish sorts of errors.  (usually I'm running some sort
of Linux distro).  Granted, this is a different scenerio.

Given a huge set of files to convert, I'm just not sure at the moment
how many things I should do at a time before retiring the session.
> Maybe you should think about using a different persistence manager.
> What do you use now? See
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ for details.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

We've been just using the SimpleDbPersistenceManager, but I did start
looking into the BundlePersistenceManager today.  I've yet to look at
the DataStore stuff, or get the extra code for it, but am hoping to try
it as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks!
Steve