jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: The state of WebDAV Clients
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:49:01 GMT
hi jukka

> On Nov 26, 2007 5:42 PM,  <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
>> The best starting point for now would be the Jackrabbit
>> client code that is just waiting for somebody to release it.
>
> The code is available in a release as a part of the jackrabbit-webdav
> component, but the client code is just a part of that component since
> (as already pointed out) the main focus within Jackrabbit is on
> implementing a WebDAV server instead of a client.
>
> If there are enough interested people, I think it would make lots of
> sense to separate the generic client code into an independent
> component and perhaps also move it to the HttpComponents project where
> it would probably attract more interest than within Jackrabbit.
> Jackrabbit could keep using the code as a normal dependency.
>
> Angela, what do you think?

i would support that idea as long as we can make sure, that we
will be able to add some additional code in order to have
a dav-client and will be able to support and work on it.

regarding moving to the HttpComponents: that wouldn't be
feasible without some refactoring (the client-methods depend
on the jackrabbit-webdav api) and without discussing the
status of the observation extensions, that are not covered
by an RFC but are custom extensions to fit our needs for
the jcr-dav-remoting protocol.

from my experience with webdav and the open source community
i'd say that "If there are enough interested people"
is always true but we should be looking for "If there are enough
active developers" too :).

that's may major concern and i would like to see that happen
within the jackrabbit community first. if we see that we have
a stable development base we can take the next step.

in other words:
who is willing to sponsor the development of a webdav client?
julian just told me, that he volunteers for writing the code :)

regards
angela