jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR WebDAV Question
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 07:54:06 GMT
qcfireball wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used the WebDAV client for authoring new content
> within the JCR?

"the WebDAV client"? which client are you talking about?
and which servlet are you refering too?

>   > creating new properties on a node and populating them with plain text
>   > creating new binary nodes containing arbitrary documents:  word, pdf,
> bmp, gif, jpeg, etc....
>   > allowing multiple people collaborate on the creation and editing of this
> content

the 'simple' dav servlet behaves pretty much as defined by
rfc 2518 including PROPPATCH and LOCK/UNLOCK. however, with this
servlet you cannot operate on nodes and properties directly.
instead it's the set of IO- and PropertyHandlers (see config)
that is in charge of creating/modifying/removing jcr nodes
and properties and exposing them to the webDAV layer.

in contrast the 'jcr-server-servlet' is designed to be used
for remoting jcr api calls via http. the protocoll (i.e. matching
jcr and webdav) is defined in the document
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/JCR_Webdav_Protocol.doc

the protocol is not defined to perfectly match the expectations
of existing webdav clients...

and to answer you questions:

i successfully used both servlets.
- the simple for 'standard' (filebased) webdav
- the jcr-server within the spi2dav contribution (see sandbox/spi)

angela