jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Cluster & Backup
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:11:25 GMT
Hi Andrea,
Our method of backup has challenges but it's been working well for us thus
far.

Simply backing up the database and file system felt too low level for us.
If, god forbid, any corruption occurred it would be nice to be able to
manipulate the repository content logically to resolve issues and restore
data.
Backing up the file system and database for JackRabbit is in my view a
little like copying the binary files of a MySql database. It represents a
backup of the data but its not the same as seeing the SQL inserts.

For this reason we:
1) backup the repository/* file system,
2) backup the database using, in this case, mysqldump
3) we have exposed an API over HTTP to a webapp running JackRabbit which
allows us to trigger an exportSysView. We're using a simple script which
iterates over the contents of repository/workspaces to determine the names
of the workspaces to backup. The backup is written straight to the file
system from the webapp (not returned over HTTP).

Issue 1: The size of the XML backups are growing quickly especially where we
have binary content in the database.
Issue 2: While the memory usage of the app server does not appear to
increase the with the size of the export, you are limited by the available
memory when doing an import in our experience. We currently have to allocate
over 1GB to the command line tool to port backups between environments. This
does not scale as eventually these backups will exhaust available memory.

There have been various threads on hot backups and it feels like a topic on
which the community needs to define a best practise to ensure JackRabbit is
considered enterprise ready.
I've not yet had chance to review Jacco's solution described in the thread
"Memory usage issues of importml/exportsysview" (attached).

Regards,
Shaun