jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: DM Rule #6: Files are Files are Files.
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:38:05 GMT
fmandelbaum wrote:
> Tako,
>   I think the reason is that nt:file is not "customizable", while
> nt:resource is. That is, nt:file has a fixed set of properties, you cannot
> set your own.

That's the case for both nt:file and nt:resource. To set "own"
properties, you need to extend both.

Whether or not custom properties should live on nt:file or nt:resource
gets discussed regularly and I think it's fair so say that there is no
standard way to do that.

For instance, if your data model is file system like (folders and files
+ metadata), such as in WebDAV, it definitively makes sense to have the
underlying properties both on the nt:folder and nt:file (thus
nt:hierachicalNode) nodes, and to use nt:resource only for metadata of
the binary content (such as mime type, encoding and so on).

 > David,
 >
 >   how does one "extend" a node? By just adding properties to it? Is
that the
 > definition of "extends" that applies here? Or you extend nt:resource
 > programatically somehow?

You need to extend the node type, for which there isn't yet a standard
API (so you need Jackrabbit-specific APIs or config files for it).

Best regard, Julian