jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Memory usage issues of importml/exportsysview
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:40:29 GMT
Hi all,

During a recent thread Hot Backup Tools were discussed - see
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@jackrabbit.apache.org/msg04255.html.

As an outcome of that we're doing 2 things:

1)      "Low-level" backup

o   Backing up the database

o   Backing up the repository file system

2)      "High-level" backup

o   Running exportsysview on each workspace

When migrating between environments or restoring backups solution 2) is very
useful although the XML files are getting very large where the content has
lots of binaries etc. The main issue is that the memory requirements of
"importxml" increase linearly with the size of the XML file. I presume this
is due to either a) the memory required to parse the file, and/or b) the
memory required to hold the transient state of the import.

We're now needing to use a 1GB heap size for some imports and obviously this
will hit a crunch point.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this memory issue? For example, could the
"importxml" not use a SAX event model to avoid parsing the XML into a
complete DOM etc (note I don't know the internals of importxml as it
stands).

All suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Shaun