jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jacco van Weert" <1111softw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JCR and legacy systems?
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:06:57 GMT
On 9/7/07, Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:

> Folks;
>

> But: I don't have no clue how to get started implementing JCR against a
> legacy system. So far, we do have rather clear ideas how the data (and,
> thus, the repository) structure inside the DMS looks, how this will
> have to look like in JCR, and we're also clear about most of the
> infrastructure aspects (user authorization). I'd simply start over
> implementing the interfaces provided by the JCR API package and hope
> for the best... Is this a sane way to do things? Are there pitfalls
> I've not yet taken into consideration? Is it a good idea at all? Or
> could I do better by, say, slightly modifying parts of jackrabbit to
> just, say, build a virtual repository rather than completely
> implementing JCR for our environment?

Hello Kristian,

I did wrote a number of custom JCR implementations for the company I work
for.
Like Jukka says the problem lies with the "write" access.

Creating a read only JCR interface is not that difficult if you only want to
have simple NodeIterator/PropertyIterator access. I used my own JDots
framework (http://jdots.sourceforge.net) to build the in-memory JCR tree,
with JDots it's also more easier to create a write repository.

The other problems;

- node/propertytype definitions, it is doable to create a write-JCR
repository without the JCR nodetypes constrains especially if your legacy
provides these constrains themselves.

- searching, well I guess that is a real problem because it's quite hard map
the JCR standard search mapping to your legacy system. I choose to just
define my own search language, more or less adapting the legacy system
search.

The big advantage of having a JCR interface to you legacy system is to have
a seamless transition to a full JCR repository.

Greetings,

  Jacco