jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Nesterov" <alex.maddri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A question about versioning when OnParentVersion=VERSION
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:00:04 GMT
Hi Peeter,

On 9/17/07, Peeter Piegaze <peeter.piegaze@day.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Yes, this is the intended behavior. A subnode with OPV=VERSION is
> meant to be an independently versionable item, not closely bound to
> the parent node. What you probably want to do is make your subnode
> OPV=COPY. This means that the subnode will be copied as part of the
> frozen state of the parent node, then when the parent node is restored
> the subnode is restored with it.

Yep, if OnParentVersion=COPY then it will be possible to restore the
subnode, but it's not very suitable in my case. The problem is that in
current implementation of Jackrabbit COPY operation is quite resource
consuming for large binary data. In my situation parent node
represents a wiki page that is versionable and child nodes represent
files attached to this page. Each file has it's own version history
too. I don't want to copy all attachments each time when page text
changes. All I want is to store a reference to the particular version
of attachments. Is there a way to implement such behavior using
standard versioning or maybe there are some other known patterns?

--
Alexander Nesterov