jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundled PM tmp files filling up tomcat
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:55:43 GMT
hi lori,

On 9/19/07, Lori <lori_ronning@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am having the same problem where the tomcat temp directory is
> filled with bin????.tmp files.  The files are stored in the database with
> (i.e. externalBlobs=false).  Sometimes the files go away, but many times
> they just stick around.  I haven't identified why they aren't released,
> but right now the temp directory has almost 2 Gig's worth of these
> binary files.  If we shut our application down it appears that we can
> clear out the temp directory.  However we can't be shutting it down all the
> time.  We tried removing the files that were 2 days old, and then ran
> into some problems of files that couldn't be accessed - so we have just
> left them there till restart.
> Any ideas, suggestions, configuration help would be apprectiated.  Is
> there a known bug where they are left around?

the only situation i can think of where such temp files could be left around
is when the repository is not shut down properly (e.g. by killing the jvm
process) or an application on top of jackrabbit holds on to/caches
properties/streams returned from the JCR api.

if you store the blob's in the db, the blob will be spooled to a temp file
when it's requested (e.g. by a node.getProperty() call). the property
is cached, holding a reference to the temp file. once the property is
evicted from the cache, the temp file will go away.

therefore, if you have lots of binary properties and they're requested
frequently, it's possible that you'll see lots of such temp files since
their associated properties are cached.

what jackrabbit version are you using? how many temp files
do you typically see?

could you perhaps provide a memory dump of your jvm, taken
when you observe lots of such temp files? i'd like to analyze it
using a profiler.

btw: the current blob handling will be significantly improved by
using a global data store for binaries
(see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-926).

cheers
stefan