jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JCR and legacy systems?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:50:36 GMT
Hi,

On 9/7/07, Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:
> not completely sure whether this is the right place for a question like
> that, but lacking a better one, please excuse probably being OT here:

No problem, I guess anything related to JCR is more or less on topic here.

> But: I don't have no clue how to get started implementing JCR against a
> legacy system. So far, we do have rather clear ideas how the data (and,
> thus, the repository) structure inside the DMS looks, how this will
> have to look like in JCR, and we're also clear about most of the
> infrastructure aspects (user authorization). I'd simply start over
> implementing the interfaces provided by the JCR API package and hope
> for the best... Is this a sane way to do things? Are there pitfalls
> I've not yet taken into consideration? Is it a good idea at all? Or
> could I do better by, say, slightly modifying parts of jackrabbit to
> just, say, build a virtual repository rather than completely
> implementing JCR for our environment?

Implementing JCR from scratch based on a legacy content repository is
in my experience quite a big challenge, especially if you want to
achieve level 2 (write) functionality.

You may want to take a look at the SPI components within Jackrabbit
that make it considerably easier to implement bridges to legacy
systems, for example by providing a full transient space
implementation almost for free.

BR,

Jukka Zitting