jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: File formats in windows WebDav client
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:02:53 GMT
stefan81 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am able to browse my repository from my windows explorer working as a
> WebDAV client.
>
> What confuses me, is that I can open Office files (doc, xls, ppt) directly
>>from the browser by double-clicking. Other formats like pdf, jpg and rtf
> cannot be opened via WebDav. They have to be stored locally first before I
> can open them.
>
> Why is this? Is this a windows issue? Or is this due to the WebDAV-support
> the applications (word, pdf) offer? Or is this a configuration issue on the
> server-side (specification of mime-types)?
>
> Googling didnĀ“t really help me! Some inspirations would be nice.

It depends on whether the Windows application is WebDAV-aware (in the
way MS implemented it). This applies to MS Office, but almost nothing else.

Of course this is only true if you use the "Webfolder" client. Other
WebDAV clients (XP miniredirector, Xythos) map the WebDAV server to a
filesystem, so any application can directly access the resources.

Best regards, Julian