jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Dominique Pfister" <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit clustering
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:06:27 GMT
Hi Philipp,

On 13/08/07, astrograph@gmx.net <astrograph@gmx.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> we have a repository which contains a lot of big binary data, we want to use clustering,
and have the following questions:

> - Is there a way to configure the db connection used for the journal in a different way
than to give the jdbc connection parameters? A jndi data source would be more useful to us.

Not yet. If you'd like to see this feature, please file a JIRA issue.

> - With the clustered configuration we are limited to a db persistence manager, with the
kind of data we ingest into our system we see a huge increase in the time it takes to process
them. I think this is caused by the db persistence manager - do we REALLY have to use a db
persistence manager?

I'm afraid so, yes. File-based persistence managers do not provide
transaction isolation, e.g. one cluster node could potentially
overwrite elements in the file system before the whole operation is
actually committed.

> - we found that you donĀ“t need to give a cluster id, it seems there is an algorithm
to provide individual servers with cluster ids - is this safe to use?

This algorithm assigns a random cluster id to a cluster node: I'd
rather use a well-defined, sensible cluster id, which also helps when
tracking down what cluster node was responsible for a change.

> - versioning is still configured for the local file system, is this ok for a clustered
installation?

No, again you'll need a db persistence manager.

Kind regards
Dominique