jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node corruption using Jackrabbit 1.3.1?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:26:09 GMT
hi shaun,

On 8/16/07, sbarriba <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We upgraded to JackRabbit 1.3.1 a few days ago.
>
> We have since seen a couple of occasions where we've been able to get the
> repository in an indeterminate state. The following output shows the state
> of a node which has an ordered child node property called acme:components
> e.g.
>

> [miq:FooBar] > nt:base
>
>                orderable
>
>                + acme:components (acme:Component) multiple COPY
>

> We have an instance of FooBar where acme:components[5] has disappeared??
>
> e.g.
>

> name                           type            node      new       modified
>
> ------------------------------ --------------- --------- --------- ---------
>
> acme:components                 acme:Section     true      false     false
>
> acme:components[2]              acme:Text        true      false     false
>
> acme:components[3]              acme:Text        true      false     false
>
> acme:components[4]              acme:Text        true      false     false
>
> acme:components[6]              acme:Section     true      false     false
>
> acme:components[7]              acme:Section     true      false     false
>
> jcr:created                    Date            false     false     false
>
> jcr:primaryType                Name            false     false     false
>
> jcr:uuid                       String          false     false     false
>

> I presume this could happen if the deletion of the child node succeeded by
> the saving of the parent FooBar node failed for some reason?

that should be possible since the changelog of a save operation is stored
atomically. if an error occurs during processing of the change log all
previous changes are rolled back.

> Surely this is a state that should never happen?

absolutely, and the problem you're describing is very alarming indeed!

did you notice anything peculiar about the corrupt nodes? is there a chance
to reconstruct the steps that lead to this state?

furthermore, could you please share some details about your config/deployment?

the only possible explanation i can currently come up with is
that there are multiple jackrabbit instances accessing the same
database...

cheers
stefan