jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: David's Model: A guide for blissful content modeling
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:28:19 GMT
On 8/7/07, David Nuescheler <david@day.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for sharing the content model.
>
> from my perspective i think the separate workspaces are not justified:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel#head-ca639e0ee110b80e8277a50f9b9de092b5d86427
>
> ... and personally i would not separate "by type" in the hierarchy.
> (or at least not at a root level). i would propose a hierarchy in single
> workspace that looks roughly like this...
>
> /artists/david/myproject1/folders
>
> /artists/david/myproject1/folders/a-song.txt
> /artists/david/myproject1/folders/a-song.mp3
>
> i would probably use the jcr:mimeType property or an extension
> of the nt:resource mimetype to tell your resources apart.

Except maybe if you plan on adding type-specific properties (not something
that appears in his model, mind you), like extracts or  stripped  (text
only) versions for the text nodes, thumbnails for the image and video nodes
and type-specific meta info.

I'm not saying that is the way to go, but it might be a reason to choose
type-specific nodes, so that you know what kind of extra data to expect. Of
course you could do the same by adding special mixins for each node
depending on the mime-type.

The only time when you really might need special nodes for each content
category is when you want to make sure that the content is of a specific
type. Dunno, let's say you want to store company letter templates for a text
processor and each has to have a text node and an image with the company
logo. That's a requirement that's easy to express in the model if you have
those content categories defined. If you never going to have those kind of
requirements then David's suggestion is much more flexible.

Cheers,
 -Tako

regards,