jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Peeter Piegaze" <peeter.pieg...@day.com>
Subject Re: Versioning
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:41:00 GMT
Ishai,

Variants as you describe them seem to map most closely to the concept
of corresponding nodes in JCR.

In JCR a referenceable node is identified by its UUID. Another node in
another workspace with the same UUID is its corresponding node. It
shares idenitity but not necessarily state. Transfer of state from
node to node across WS is done through Node.update.

This may be what you are looking for. However, from your description
it may be overkill to devote a WS to each variant. If that is the case
then the obvious alternative is to create the variant relation at the
application level.

On 8/15/07, Ishai Borovoy <ishaiborovoy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> We try to think of some way to create variants in our system. the
> terminology of variants is little bit difference from versioning in our
> case.  The thing is that we need to save some root (basic node), and let
> user create from it different variants, but also give them the ability to
> name this variant, to update it, and get changes from other variant in some
> conditions. what I want to check is if the versioning could be good
> option/solution for that, it looks like from what I read so far in the specs
> (170 & 283) and from what I read here that we need to force the versioning
> for that :,( , so maybe we need to implement it in a different way?
>
> But we never say never so we still check the option... :working:
>

> Brian Thompson-5 wrote:
> >
> > Out of curiosity, why would you want to make changes to version nodes?
> > Isn't keeping a record of past changes exactly the point of having
> > versioning in the first place?
> >
> > -Brian
> >

> > On 8/14/07, Ishai Borovoy <ishaiborovoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Thanks.
> >> Regarding question number 2, I will try to explain with an example:
> >> suppose we have one version a', and there are other versions b', c'.
> >> When a' is changed and other condition occurs (for example the person who
> >> changed a' version is x), then b', c' need to get updated with the
> >> changes
> >> in a'?
> >> Is that possible to implement with the current versioning of JackRabbit?

> >> (update)

> >> --
> >>

> --

Peeter Piegaze