jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Waschkowski" <mwaschkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing Items
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:08:51 GMT
Hi Jukka,

As I stated on Aug 15:
"Workaround - the main workaround that we have done is to store the
structure of a node separately. Then, if we need to we can map a node back
to the structure and determine what are all the possible attributes of a
particular node, and then go forward from there. Please note, using node
types to specify the structure ahead of time is NOT an option.

I really find it ironic that the repo doesn't keep all the properties
because each node is like its own little bundle of data, which includes meta
information (the node name), data (the node value) and type information (the
node type). By having a property be removed when its set to null, that
little bundle of data loses critical information about what exactly defines
itself, and, in our case, require workarounds that shouldn't be necessary. "

I'm actually not trying to mimic the SQL model, although I have been making
comparisons to it.

> Hi,
> On 8/18/07, Mark Waschkowski <mwaschkowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Do you understand what I mean with this?"
> > Yes, I do. IMO this isn't a matter of making things more complicated,
> its a
> > matter of what I perceive is a flaw with the API. Again, without nulls
> we
> > have had to do a number of workarounds that would not have been
> otherwise
> > required, and not only that but I find the behavior undesirable in the
> > general case.
> Could you describe what kinds of workarounds you've needed? Apart from
> search the only workaround I believe is needed to emulate the SQL
> model is:
>     Value getValue(Node node, String name) throws ... {
>         try {
>             return node.getProperty(name).getValue();
>         } catch (PathNotFoundException e) {
>             return null;
>         }
>     }