jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:55:25 GMT
Hi,

> No, thats missing the point.
> The point that the OP is he doesn't want to see
> a property *removed* when a property value is set to null.

I'm sure Florent knows what Ivan (and you?) want.

> As in SQL, you can't NOT have a column there, its defined ahead of time. The
> column *always* exists, regardless of the value stored in the column for a
> particular row.

Exactly. There is no way to remove a column from just some rows in SQL
(and not others in the same table). That's why SQL supports NULL
(meaning 'unknown' or 'missing information' and 'inapplicable
information'). In JCR, you don't need NULL as you actually can remove
a property from a node.

> The semantic should be to set the value of a property, and the property will
> contain that value

NULL is not a value (not even in SQL).

Thomas