jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:24:34 GMT
Mark Waschkowski wrote:
> Fair enough. However, look at it from the reverse point of view, what would
> the impact to the users of the API be if setting a property to null DIDN'T
> remove it (assuming there was a flag that could be set to toggle the
> behavior on startup to deal with compatibility issues)? The existing
> remove() function would then be used to remove properties when not desired,
> instead of setting properties to null and having this side-effect. I believe
> that the API would be more intuitive to most, if not all users, the
> workarounds that we have developed wouldn't be required, and that nobody

Again:

the thing that's being proposed is not an API change, but a data model
change.

If we stick with the current data model (which I'd support), then
passing a null value can either cause an exception, or cause the
property to be removed. I don't have a preference here, except for
keeping compatibility with JSR-170.

If you want to discuss a data model change, please be clear about it,
and stop discussing the API. What the API does depends on the data
model, not the other way around.

Best regards, Julian