jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Bob Wieler" <bob.wie...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions regarding nt:file and nt:folders
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:29:34 GMT
Hi,

We're currently in the process of rethinking the way data is stored in our
JCR repository and I have a couple of questions. Hopefully someone can help.

One email that David Nuescheler sent titled "DM Rule #6: Fiels are Files are
Files" (a great series of emails BTW) mentioned using nt:file and nt:folder
for anything that remotely resembles a file or a folder. It included the
recommendation that for additional meta information we should extend
nt:resource rather than nt:file but there wasn't a lot of detail on why
nt:resource should be extended rather than nt:file.

I have a lot of meta data that needs to be stored with the folders, in
particular information regarding versioning as the folders that contain
other content is also versionable. I'm wondering whether I should extend the
nt:folder base node type or create another nt:file node under the nt:folder
to contain this additional information.

Also, if I want the nt:files to be versionable, is it still better to have
our own extension of nt:resource that includes the mix:versionable mixin or
to extend nt:file?

Thank you for your help,

Bob