jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 7.4 Appendix D: JCR 1.0 XPath (Deprecated)
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:22:40 GMT
On 7/18/07, Thomas Mueller <thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/07, IvanLatysh <ivan@yourmail.com> wrote:
> >... To summarize all this I propose to use 'X' languages to work
> > with 'X' data structures....
>
> So in your view, JCR is an XML database? For me, JCR is:
> - File System
> - RDBMS
> - LDAP
> - Subversion...

I think this is the core problem when it comes to JCR queries: if one
sees JCR as an XML storage on steroids, XQuery or XPath make a lot of
sense, as they're familiar and work well with tree structures.

For people who see JCR more as a filesystem on turbo steroids, having
to grasp tree-based query languages might be intimidating.

So I think the JSR 283 approach, which is IIUC:

1. Specify a realistically implementable query model

2. Specify a default language, SQLish so that most people understand it well

makes a lot of sense.

It doesn't prevent implementations from defining additional query
languages, and maybe those could come later as extensions or
additional specs?

So although I will miss XPath, I agree that it's a good thing for the
spec to concentrate on the underlying query model.

-Bertrand