jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:18:43 GMT
On 7/10/07, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:

> .../contacts/mark@gmail/ituneslibrary/Nelly Furtado/Loose/Say It Right...

> ..and really, i cannot see a drawback for naming
> nodes in a meaningful way. ;)...

Still (and I'm being slightly paranoid here, for the purpose of
discussion), some of these meaningful path elements might change at
some point.

mark@gmail might get a new email...what happens? Worst case, his old
email is made available after some time, and someone else grabs it
(remember, I'm in paranoid mode ;-)

"Nelly Furtado" usually stays forever...though she might get married
and change her name (not to mention the Wendy/Walter Carlos case
[1]...or The Artist Formerly Known As Prince).

New records will be released under her new name, but somehow a
connection must be made to the old name, which would be easier with an
abstract identifier.

What I'm getting at: meaningful paths are great, but when using them
one must be prepared to handle edge cases where meaningful path
elements change in the world that you're modeling.

-Bertrand

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Carlos