jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Achieving DRAFT published to LIVE concepts - separate workspaces?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:56:11 GMT
Hi Shaun,

I think this is a very good use of workspaces.

> Option 1: Use a separate DRAFT and LIVE workspace, and use event listeners
> or scheduled process to 'publish' or 'unpublish' pages into the LIVE
> workspace.
> But, the usage of references means that publishing or unpublishing can break
> referential integrity if 'dependent' items are not published/unpublished at
> the same time.
Web Content Management is just about my favorite domain ;)

I think "Option 1" is the right way of doing it, which is what we use in
our product.

Personally, I would not use JCR references throughout the WCM domain.
I think one has to assume that "assets" on a website may have different
live-cycles. I would discourage the use of JCR references between assets
that have different live cycles and I would use hierarchical containment
for assets that share the same live cycle.
I think that a WCM application needs to assume dangling references or
possibly better use paths for many usecases.

> Q1: is option 2 an appropriate use of workspaces?
I think "option 1" is the way to go.

> Q2: are there any convenient mechanisms to determine 'dependent items'? I
> presume you'd just need to recurse through everything referenced by your
> 'page'.
I think everything that belongs to a "page" should be hierarchically contained.

Something like...

/news/2007/07/10/world/asia/10cnd-pakistan
/news/2007/07/10/world/asia/10cnd-pakistan/images/man.jpg

Other assets like ...

/medialibrary/logo.gif

...have a different live cycle. I would refer to
by path and gracefully fail if it the path does not exist.

The same is also true for linking from one article to another.
Since I would expose the paths as URLs they should be fairly
stable to begin with.

regards,
david