jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:16:47 GMT
Explanation
---
While Same Name Siblings (SNS) have been introduced into the spec to
allow compatibility with data structures that are designed for and
expressed through XML and therefore are extremely valuable to JCR, SNS
come with a substantial overhead and complexity for the repository.

Any path into the content repository that contains an SNS in one of
its path segments becomes much less stable, if an SNS is removed or
reordered, it has an impact on the paths of all the other SNS and
their children.

For import of XML or interaction with existing XML SNS maybe necessary
and useful but I have never used SNS, and never will in my "green
field" data models.

Example:
---
Use

/content/myblog/posts/what_i_learned_today
/content/myblog/posts/iphone_shipping

instead of

/content/blog[1]/post[1]
/content/blog[1]/post[2]