jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject DM Rule #2: Drive the content hierarchy, don't let it happen.
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:07:30 GMT
The content hierarchy is a very valuable asset. So don't just let it
happen, design it. If you don't have a "good", human-readable name for
a node, that's probably that you should reconsider. Arbitrary numbers
are hardly ever a "good name".

While it may be extremely easy to quickly put an existing relational
model into a hierarchical model, one should put some thought in that

In my experience if one thinks of access control and containment
usually good drivers for the content hierarchy. Think of it as if it
was your filesystem. Maybe even use files and folders to model it on
your local disk.

Personally I prefer hierarchy conventions over the nodetyping system
in a lot of cases initially, and introduce the typing later.

I would model a simple blogging system as follows. Please note that
initially I don't even care about the respective nodetypes that I use
at this point.

I think one of the things that become apparent is that we all
understand the structure of the content based on the above example
without any further explanations.

What may be unexpected initially is why I wouldn't store the
"comments" with the "post", which is due to access control which I
would like to be applied in a reasonably hierarchical way.

Using the above content model I can easily allow the "anonymous" user
to "create" comments, but keep the anonymous user on a read-only basis
for the rest of the workspace.

View raw message