jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:37:30 GMT
> Hi,
>
> Everyone, I don't think this thread is getting us anywhere at the moment.
>
> There are many cases (like setProperty(null)) where the JCR 1.0 API
> could have been designed otherwise, but complaining about it doesn't
> really help anyone if you don't have an idea of how to fix that.
>
> Note also that for an idea to have a reasonable chance of being
> accepted in JCR 2.0, it *needs* to be backwards compatible. So for
> example we can't just declare that setProperty(null) will start
> throwing NullPointerExceptions, as that's bound to break a whole lot
> of existing clients.
>
> Of course I'm all ears (and I believe the whole JSR 283 expert group
> at jsr-283-comments@jcp.org is) for good suggestions where things
> could be improved, but just complaining that a feature doesn't work
> like you want or suggesting obviously incompatible changes doesn't
> really get us anywhere.

Sorry Jukka, but I don't really feel we were complaining here, but
rather describing the problem so that everybody has chance to see our
reasoning. And the initial post started with the proposal.

Now about the compatibility issue: considering that 2.0 is suggesting
the removal of XPath we cannot talk about backward compatibility
anymore. One more change at the API level and one that will make
things clearer is the smart decission (remember we are not talking
about a 1.1 spec, but about 2.0 which is already suggesting
non-backward compatible changes).

bests,
./alex
--