jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:05:47 GMT
On 7/20/07, IvanLatysh <ivan@yourmail.com> wrote:
> Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:
>
> > Well, if I am the only one making efforts to understand others view
> > points, then this discussion is useless :-(.
> I felt the same ...
>
> > As a matter of fact, I've been designing APIs for quite a few years,
> > and I can guarantee you that setValue() should always have different
> > semantics than remove() (they are different at language level; and if
> > you check different API you'll see that almost everywhere this
> > difference is kept).
>
> 2 All:
> I believe many agree with me that people who participate in this discussion are
> far not amateurs, most of us experienced senior developers, architects, .. etc
> and it is not the first project or spec for us, so why to waste out time by
> denying something that majority agreed with ?
>
> For instance, I took my time to offer a feedback instead of begin work on
> implementation independent JCR Backup/Restore tool that we will make available
> for everybody as open source project.
>
> Also I have seen a few real-life use-cases and meaningful explanations
> supporting the idea that setting value to null is not the same as removing it
> and null is a value.
>
> But I haven't seen anything to support current implementation !

Ivan, you must understand that the group has worked on this spec for
quite a while so changing their minds will not be extremely easy. What
I would really appreciate would be their reasoning behind the
discussed topics (maybe they are right and we overseeing something).

I am pretty sure that people involved with the spec will read this
thread carefully and will see the points we have raised and
argumented.

bests,
./alex
--