jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Isolation level inconsistency.
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:46:53 GMT
On 7/20/07, Hendrik Beck (camunda) <hendrik.beck@camunda.com> wrote:
> > I would really appreciate if somebody would post on this thread a
> > scenario in which the current behavior is proving helpful (and I have
> > in mind the scenario posted here: searching for a John and getting a
> > Joe instead -- frankly speaking I would be totally surprised in real
> > life if I would be looking for my wife and getting somebody else
> > instead :-) ).
>
> Uhm, which behaviour do you want to see? In one of our projects we use JCR to enrich
our business objects (like Products for a web shop) with content data. This content is shown
on the web site. The employees edit this content concurrently with an application, every one
on its one. They make changes to different products and when they are finished, they persist
these changes by invoking save(). As long as they didn't do that, the people who search and
browse the web site only see the persistant state, i.e. the data that is really stored "forever".
It would be crucial if people would see all the transient states on the websites and furthermore
it would be wrong. Invoking save is something like saying "ok, now I am finished, now I want
everybody else to see my changes".

> On the other hand as long as they haven't pressed save(), they still want to see their
own changes, that's also obvious. But they should only see their own changes.

> So for me the only thing that could be a problem is, that an employee didn't press save()
and wants to search the repository. In that case they could get results that differ from their
local changes. But I would say, if there are any good technical (Jackrabbit-) reasons, that's
ok. Then they just have to save their changes and then everything's right again. But in our
use cases that doesn't really happen. People rather use the search to find the nodes they
want to change. Then they select these nodes, change them, press save() and that's it.

> Actually I thought that's one of the most common use cases JCR is used for but apparanty
not?!

Hendrik I am afraid you are confusing the visibility over different
sessions (you are discussing about this one), and the transient state
inside the same session (which is the topic discussed in here).

bests,
./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.