jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:40:41 GMT
On 7/20/07, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:
> > Many arguments in this thread are based on the XML representation. And
> > I don't think this is quite correct: the fact that hierarchical data
> > can be expressed with XML is one thing (and the fact that the JCR spec
> > offers this feature), but thinking that hierarchical storage is
> > equivalent to XML storage is imo a mistake. JCR supports hierarchical
> > storage, but is not an XML based storage.
>
> I'd agree if XML would be the *only* example. But there are others, such
> as WebDAV properties and RDF, right?

Hmmm... not sure I am getting it. Hierarchical storage may look like
XML/WebDAV/RDF but it is not (and I mean by this that there is no
equivalent relationship between them).  The fact that XML storage
doesn't handle nulls or can handle it in a specific way is not really
equivalent to saying that hierarchical storages must support it the
same way. As a matter of fact hierarchical storages were used 30 years
ago, when none of the XML/WebDAV/RDF existed.

bests,
./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.