jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Frédéric Esnault <f...@legisway.com>
Subject RE: Jackrabbit is dead (for us)
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:03:04 GMT

Wow, I have been misunderstood. I never thought even one second that Jackrabbit was not a
quality project. If it has been understood that I did (and it has) then I apologize. I have
a great respect for all the people creating this product.

My point was that Jackrabbit is like it is today due to choices that have been made, not because
it has been done incorrectly. These choices do not fit our needs, that's all. I'm really sorry
I let you feel I was disrespecting the huge amount of work that has been done on Jackrabbit.
Sorry again!

Of course, there was no competition and Jackrabbit has no interest in Legisway ;) But we were
testing it because we know that the work done in Jackrabbit is good and that choosing not
to use it would (will...) cost us time and efforts to develop, test and maintain parts already
present in Jackrabbit. We actually thought seriously about developing patches for Jackrabbit
and of course contributing them to the community if they seem valuable by Jackrabbit dev team.
But it would mean to review Jackrabbit core and modify it to be more flexible and still work
fast, add some admin functionalities, review the full search engine (this is our main issue),
and it has been decided that it would be better for us to go back to a RDBMS-based repository,
full-SQL support, fully customizable indexes, and so on (and btw, we actually need a repository,
not a CMS, sorry again, I think I was really tired, last Friday ;) )

This also answers a question from Thomas Mueller, who asked what other technologies we are
going to use. Well basically, a database, and something like SDO or (more probably) EMF for
in memory access, but choices are still not finalized.

The goal of my message was to give a feedback to Jackrabbit team, to tell them that Jackrabbit
was not suitable for us, and giving them the reasons. It may give valuable information to
them about what *some* companies need in such a product, and that was the only reason I wrote
this message. I again apologize to all that felt insulted or disrespected. Jackrabbit is a
good quality project, and this is why we spent time here evaluating it. It just doesn't fit
our specific needs. Keep up the good work !

Frédéric Esnault