jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Frédéric Esnault <f...@legisway.com>
Subject Jackrabbit is dead (for us)
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:05:07 GMT
Hi there,

I'm sorry to inform you that we did not select Jackrabbit as the CMS of the platform we're
currently developing (well designing right now).

We'll develop our own CMS, of course not generic as Jackrabbit could be (and this is to be
discussed...), but more suitable to our needs.

Why we rejected Jackrabbit :

-          lack of administration possibilities: It is currently impossible in JR to modify
an existing node type, to add/modify/remove properties. Refactoring is important for us, and
impossible in Jackrabbit.

-          Strong constraints on the repository structure : we saw in the different mailing
lists that Jackrabbit works (quite) well with a specific architecture, and that not following
it induces very important and unacceptable performance loss (both for writing and searching);

-          Search is also a (very) important feature for us, and currently Jackrabbit is much
too limited in this area. SQL is not complete (well we don't need full SQL, but at least....joins...);
and xpath is limited also, dereferencing is impossible or must be developed as an upper layer
above Jackrabbit.

Some details also maybe, but most important problems are the three listed above (admin, repository
structure and search). I think Jackrabbit is good to create a blogging system, a forum or
any article-based simple website, but it is definitely not suitable for professional, generic
CMS. This is too bad, because some (who said most?) apache projects are really top quality
projects that even professional softwares can rely on, and I thought Jackrabbit would follow
this path. I agree that it's still a young project, maybe versions 2.5 or 3.0 will begin be
mature enough, and powerful enough for demanding systems to rely on Jackrabbit.

Thanks anyway for all your good and detailed answers ;-)

Frederic Esnault